Seven things I did, that made this image work.
- I shot at night. Actually, it was very early morning, there was light, but not much. I’m not faking the shot, you’re seeing what I took, essentially straight from the camera.
- I shifted my white balance to give everything a ‘midnight’ color tone. A great thing about how white balance works, the fog lights were orange, so they remained relatively un-affected by the compensation. That’s why they POP.
- I timed my shot to get three subjects. Groups of three are more interesting.
- I found a stretch of road with personality, and used a long lens, the compression magnified the road’s quirks.
- I cranked the car sideways across the road, to give it some “I don’t care.”
- I put the subject within the subject (the driver) at the two thirds mark.
- And…….I created a composition with an aspect ratio WIDER than 3:2
sony a58, tamron 70-200f2.8